Surgical dentistry is a practice that performs the work of tooth preservation surgeries, bone grafting, tooth implants, tooth removal, and more. There are cases where certain surgical treatments or tooth extraction cannot work, so the surgeon will remove the diseased tooth without pain. This is commonly performed with wisdom teeth.
Professional surgeons are experienced and can perform safe surgeries while effectively dealing with these common problems. It is not just about removing teeth. The surgeons can also advise about dental implants and tooth replacement after surgeries and extractions.
Importance of Surgical Dentistry
Dental surgeries are recommended in specific cases where other procedures or treatments are not effective. They are performed in situations of extreme pain and severe tooth and mouth conditions. Some procedures like removing wisdom teeth can be complicated, such as after these teeth grow inaccurately across gums or get trapped in the jaw and gum tissue. In cases like these, surgery is inevitable. Sometimes, swelling or infection can worsen and tooth removal is required. In some other cases, a cyst or tumor may need to be removed. In these situations, surgery is the only viable option.
Here at Genis Dental, we have the best dentist in Feasterville who can provide you the best treatment per your requirements. There are several benefits of surgical dentistry, including improved self-esteem. Here are some other major benefits of surgical dentistry:
- Replacing a Tooth Permanently: The replacement of a missing tooth with a proper dental implant is a reliable and permanent treatment with a 98% success rate. An older solution of adding a bridge or denture can replace the upper portion of the tooth, but it will not work at the root. For a strong root replacement, surgical dentistry is very important. This can eliminate the need for future procedures.
- Preventing Complex and Permanent Damage: Very often, oral health problems worsen with time. Innovative and advanced technologies like bone grafting can treat problems in the mouth, gums, and jaws more effectively. There is a high success rate with technological advances in oral health, as well as more options for the patient. Overall, it can prevent painful and expensive damage to the teeth and mouth.
- Prevents Tooth Loss: Tooth implants are usually the last option. Everyone wants to get rid of problems with their teeth in order to preserve their original ones if possible. The advanced procedures within surgical dentistry help to prevent losing existing teeth.
- Rapid Treatment: Before, conventional oral procedures were time-consuming. But with development in dental technology, the speed and quality of dental surgeries have improved immensely, allowing for comparatively rapid treatments and relief.
- Satisfaction: The success rate and effectiveness of surgeries have increased with time. Nowadays, these surgeries tend to have fewer steps involved and much less pain. With less discomfort and hassle, patient satisfaction is greatly improved.
- Deal With Other Hidden Issues: Many hidden tooth problems might go unnoticed in daily life and continue to worsen. Surgical dentistry can help in recognizing these issues and later treating them. Dentists may even be able to recognize physical or mental ailments that may seem unrelated to the teeth and mouth, but that tend to affect oral health.
Types of Surgical Dentistry:
The word “surgery” can be very anxiety-provoking for patients. People usually consider surgery problematic, painful, and expensive. But these days, those ideas are mere misconceptions. Every type of case is different, which means the treatment and healing needs are different as well. With advancements in technology, there are various pocket-friendly options and painless treatments. A dental surgeon is experienced and knowledgeable in this context. They prescribe the most relevant treatments for each individual patient. There are numerous kinds of surgical procedures based on different oral problems:
- Wisdom Teeth Removal: Everyone is born with wisdom teeth. They tend to erupt between the ages of 18-25. Usually, they don’t cause pain. But if they can’t grow in the available space in the mouth, it results in dental pain and other oral problems. Wisdom tooth extraction is performed by a dental surgeon, and a patient requires a few days for complete recovery. Anesthesia is used in the surrounding area so that the procedure is painless, but there may be some healing pain after the procedure.
- Dental Implants: When you lose an original tooth, it’s a dental implant that restores your smile. Often you can face the problem of slurred speech and struggle to chew normally if you lose teeth. But dental implants function like normal teeth in addition to boosting your confidence. They serve as alternative teeth so that the person can look and feel like their normal self. Dental implant procedures are very common. They may take a bit longer than other surgeries, but they tend to be necessary to ensure proper attachment to the bone and avoid future troubles.
- Cosmetic Dental Surgery: Cosmetic dental surgery is not a necessity, but a choice. People often desire to have the perfect smile or jawline to enhance their overall appearance. Models and actors usually opt for veneers to have that perfect smile. It can be done by a dentist very easily and is painless.
What Are Other Aspects Of Surgical Dentistry?
Surgical dentistry is associated with orthodontics, implants, and aesthetic surgery. This is why dental surgeons collaborate with other experts and specialists. Dental surgery can help with:
- Recognizing other diseases during procedures
- Partial or entire teeth extractions
- Dental implants
- Cosmetic or plastic surgery for the jaw
- Treating issues associated with salivary glands
- Preserving teeth
- Treating oral tumors
Advancements in technology have increased people’s ability to treat and restore their smiles. In a world of high beauty standards and social media scrolling, there is the significant pressure to look good at all times. Luckily, you can get rid of your pain and make your smile better at the same time. Contact Genis Dental to get the best surgical dentistry Feasterville has to offer.