To make your dental implant recovery as rapid as possible, it’s important to eat healthily and avoid certain foods and drinks. Your oral surgeon is undoubtedly the best guide in this scenario.
They will instruct you on which foods to eat or avoid to minimize swelling and discomfort. Furthermore, they will prescribe you medications that will help you heal more quickly and with less pain.
What should you expect after dental surgery?
Oral surgery tends to cause some pain and discomfort for at least a few days. There may be swelling in the gums and mouth to deal with. Different patients have different healing times and amounts of pain tolerance, but in any case it’s important to take good care of yourself in the time following surgery.
If there are no complications, you can expect to heal implants after a few days. However, especially if there is a bone graft involved with surgery, there lies the risk of complications. Issues can arise when your implant is not in its proper place.
In such cases, the healing time can be significantly extended. You’ll want to choose one of the best dentists in Philadelphia to know about what to expect from your surgery.
7 Tips For Optimal Healing After Dental Implants:
- Eat soft foods: If you consume soft foods, jaw movement will be minimized as there is less chewing. Any kind of jaw movement can slow down your dental implant healing process and can potentially add to pain.
- Do not consume hot foods or drinks: After oral surgery, your gums will be sensitive. Therefore, you must avoid eating anything too hot, as it can cause swelling.
- Avoid using straws: Never use a straw in the days following your dental implant surgery. Using a straw can disrupt your oral wound healing and recovery due to the suction.
- Keep yourself hydrated: After surgery, you must keep sipping water regularly. Staying hydrated is extremely important for overall healing. However, do not think that you can get your hydration from tea or coffee, as you should avoid all hot drinks while healing.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking is injurious to health, and it can also directly disrupt your wound. When you smoke, you also get less oxygen into the body overall, which negatively affects your health. Therefore, if you want a speedy recovery, you should never smoke.
- Reduce engaging in strenuous activities: You need to rest after dental implant surgery. Any exercise must be avoided, as it runs the risk of increasing your pain. You must even avoid talking too much, as it can stress your jawbone.
- Use ice packs to control swelling: Using ice packs is ideal to minimize swelling. Further, it can reduce any bruising that may occur. The trick is to wrap the ice cubes or cold vegetables on a towel and gently apply them to your wound.
Dental implants are a great choice for many to provide a natural look and long-lasting functionality of a regular tooth. Following the post-surgery instructions after a dental implant is a must to ensure that you heal properly and keep the implant in great condition. If you’re considering a dental implant treatment, schedule a consultation with our highly experienced dentist at Genis Dental today.